Postgraduate Certificate: Advanced Study in SEMH Difficulties
Oxford Brookes University, in partnership with the Social Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties Association (SEBDA), offers two postgraduate courses for professionals working with children and/or young people with social, emotional and mental health difficulties. These Master's-level courses are delivered predominantly online as a flexible distance learning option and will enhance your understanding and skills in working with this vulnerable group.
Why choose this course:
- This course is ideal if you work with children and/or young people with social and emotional difficulties as part of your practice.
- You will gain insight and training in SEMH difficulties driven by evidence-based practice.
- Our teaching staff are master's qualified. They have practical experience in managing SEMH difficulties in a range of settings.
- SEBDA is a national organisation with a history of promoting the emotional well-being of children and young people through the training of professionals who work with them.
- This Master's-level course is delivered predominantly online as a flexible distance learning option. There is an optional residential weekend in September and a further University-based study day in the spring to enhance cohort collaboration, networking and learning.
- Your studies will benefit from the excellent learning resources provided by the Oxford Brookes University e-library
- You will have access to the Moodle Virtual Learning Environment, where collaborative learning activities will be presented to students.
The course lasts 1 year and comprises 3 Modules
- Module 1: Complex Social Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
- Module 2: Research Methods and SEMH
- Module 3: Advanced Intervention Social Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
In advanced studies you will undertake a critical exploration of theory and practice around trauma, anger management, self-harm, eating disorders, bereavement, anxiety and depression. In addition, emotional development, attachment theory and autistic spectrum conditions will be analysed. This postgraduate certificate also includes a research methods component.
What our students say:
“….. good mix of practical and theoretical activities”
“….. very well supported by my tutor”
“….. found the study days to be beneficial and stimulating”
“….. engaging online discussions”
“….. the timetable and structured activities each fortnight enabled me to manage the workload, on top of working full time”
“….. topic choices were really useful and relevant”
“…...this has been enlightening, not only for me but also for others whom I train and advise”
Students must hold a degree qualification at 2.2 or above and must be must be working in a relevant setting where they will be working with children and/or young people with SEMH difficulties as part of their practice.
For further information email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to https://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/education-advanced-study-in-semh-difficulties/
Individual SEBDA members receive £100 cashback on their fee.
SEBDA campaigns for better services for children and young people experiencing SEBD and better support for those who work with them.
Our organisation is committed to improving social inclusion and the capacity of mainstream schools to provide for children and young people. However we know from research and experience that for a small minority of pupils, social inclusion can be best pursued through education, support, care and therapy in specialist settings.
SEBDA is multi-professional. Members include teachers; education officers; behaviour support workers; psychologists; residential and other social workers; CAMHS and youth workers; those working within youth justice provision.
For a very affordable price, SEBDA membership brings the latest information and continuing support. It does this through its academic research journal, website and access to discount-priced resources and professional development events.