KIDS was established in 1970 by John Mulcahy, a teacher who became concerned about the development of a disabled child in one of his classes. John wanted to improve communication with this child and sought guidance from the child's mother. This in turn established the KIDS ethos of working in partnership with parents and carers to enable disabled children and young people to develop their skills and abilities and to fulfil their potential, hopes and aspirations. Our founder had a vision and passion for disabled children back in 1970. It is with thanks to his dedication and original inspiration that KIDS' services and regions have grown into what they are today. John was determined that the charity's aims should always be based on three guiding principles: that parents should be treated as equal partners; that KIDS should work in conjunction with statutory services and that we should offer both practical and skilled support. It is an ethos that the charity still holds today.
KIDS approach is to empower disabled children and young people to develop their skills and abilities. We create opportunities for them to take part in positive play, learning, leisure, employment training and social activities. We are a unique organisation basing our success upon building a close partnership with parents and providing real solutions to the difficulties which disabled children can face.
KIDS provides a wide range of services to disabled children, young people and their families, through these we aim to:
• Equip parents with extra skills and confidence to nurture and develop their disabled child
• Enable disabled children to have a happy childhood
• Support teenagers and young adults to develop practical, social and interpersonal skills, challenge discrimination and achieve their goals
• Provide parents with support and breaks from the pressures of caring for a disabled child
• Provide fun activities and support for siblings of disabled children and young carers
• Assist local authorities and other organisations in making their facilities accessible and welcoming to all disabled children and young people
KIDS is the only charity in England providing a range of services to disabled children, young people and their families and carers regardless of their impairment or condition.