We're the UK’s national charity helping people who are confronting life-changing deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss. The people we support may struggle with their condition. Or they may live well with it, but face ignorance and barriers in their way. We enable all of them to take control of their lives without assumptions being made about what they can or can’t do. With your support, we can continue our vital services so people with hearing loss can live the life they choose - at home, at work and when they're out and about. Plus, we can carry out more research to help find a cure.
Our vision and purpose
Hearing loss shouldn't prevent people from living the life they choose.
Our vision is a world where deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss do not limit or label people, and where people value their hearing.
We help people by confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss to live the life they choose. We enable them to take control of their lives and remove the barriers in their way.
We’ve been helping people with hearing loss for more than 100 years, and changed the lives of millions since we started.
Some of our key achievements include successfully lobbying the NHS to provide free hearing aids in 1948, and hearing-screening for new born babies in 2000. We’ve also been involved in life-changing research and become one of the UK’s leading specialist-care providers for people affected by hearing loss.
Alongside funding research around the world into treatments and cures for hearing loss and tinnitus, we also support the innovation and development of technology.
We work across the UK so people with hearing loss are supported and can live the life they choose.
Our work includes providing high-quality support and care so people confronting deafness, hearing loss and tinnitus have their needs met. We fund research to find a cure for hearing loss, and encourage the take-up of new technology and medical treatments to help manage the condition. Plus, we campaign for equality, so the people we support can make the same life choices as everyone else.
- We fund research to find a cure for hearing loss, and drive the development of new technology.
- We campaign to change public perception and policy around hearing loss issues.
- We provide day-to-day support for people who are deaf with additional needs.
- We provide accessible information to help the people we support manage their condition and access their rights.
- We offer practical advice to help people protect their hearing.
- We supply communication services and training for people affected by hearing loss, including businesses.